At Learn Q, we are always asked what the steps are to become a paid interpreter, so we have created this handy guide.
Click here to download our FREE How to work as a paid interpreter poster
- Step 1: To become qualified as an interpreter, take a relevant interpreting qualification to ensure your practice reaches a professional level, avoiding potential risks and providing quality service.
- Step 2: Interpreters have various options for work, including face-to-face, telephone, video remote, and online interpreting.
- Step 3: Gaining paid or voluntary interpreting experience is optional but beneficial, especially for larger language service providers that often require experience.
- Step 4: Register with Language Service Providers (LSPs) to connect with clients in need of interpreters. LSPs hold many major interpreting contracts with public services.
- Step 5: Agree on rates, though they may be predetermined by LSPs, and keep your contact details and profile updated.Then, stay attentive to assignment notifications that match your profile, and respond promptly as some LSPs may assign work to the first responder. Keep your smartphone on during business hours to avoid missing opportunities.
If you want to get started on the path and gain an interpreting qualification – take a look at our popular bundles by clicking here.